Undergraduate Resources

The Fulbright College of Arts and Science requires all students to submit an acceptable research/analytic paper (or papers) to their major department in order to receive their degree. You are urged to consult with a faculty member about your Senior Writing Requirement paper no later than the first semester of your senior year.

Your Senior Writing Requirement may be derived from completion of an honors thesis, an internship paper, an upper-level course in HIST, or the Senior Capstone Seminar. You should consult the professor to be sure your paper meets all necessary requirements, then complete the Senior Writing Requirement Declaration Form, obtain your professor's signature, and turn the completed form into the History office in Old Main 416. This form should be submitted before Dead Day (submission after Dead Day may delay receipt of your diploma). 

The department of history regularly collaborates with local institutions for student internships. In recent recent years students have interned at the Washington County Historical Society, the Shiloh Museum of Ozark History, and the Museum of Native American History in Bentonville. History credit can be awarded for an internship at these or other institutions. Contact the director of undergraduate studies, Professor Alessandro Brogi (abrogi@uark.edu) for more information and to connect with an appropriate member of the faculty.

Please email the instructor of the class and include the HIST administrative specialist. In the email, include your name, student ID and the Catalog and Section numbers (Ex: HIST 2003-001), along with a brief explanation as to why you need the override into the class. The instructor will reply to the email granting approval or denial. With approval (if room size permits), the administrative specialist will process the override and notify you via email; the course will then appear in your UAConnect account by the following day. 

Additionally, we now have the "Wait List" feature added to most of our classes. It is up to the instructor whether they will grant an override on a wait-listed class!

NOTE: This is the override process for HIST. Other departments and colleges may process overrides differently.

Undergraduate advising for history students is done through the Fulbright College Advising Center. Our adviser is Lee Byers

Graduate students in HIST are advised by the Director of Graduate Studies, Dr. Todd Cleveland

Advising for area studies is handled through those programs and not by department of history advisers. Please consult the area studies links to identify the directors or specific programs. 

For more information about scholarships, please see our Scholarship page.