History 4+1 MA Program
A qualifying student can apply to the History 4+1 M.A. program either during the second
semester of their junior year or first semester of their senior year.
Once the student becomes a senior, they must take at least 3 hours (and may take up to 12 hours) of History graduate coursework that will be counted toward both their B.A. and M.A. degrees. To receive graduate credit for these courses, they must be History courses, 5000-level or above.
Upon completion of the B.A. degree, those students who have at least a 3.0 GPA in HIST graduate courses will be admitted to the Graduate School and be eligible to complete the M.A. in History program.
• Be a U of A student working on a bachelor’s degree (does NOT have to be in History).
• Be at least a junior (with 60+ credit hours).
• Have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher.
• Take all graduate coursework at the U of A.
• Three letters of recommendation, ideally from faculty members who can attest to the applicant’s commitment and capabilities in History or, in general, fields in humanities and social sciences.
• A writing sample that highlights the applicant’s writing skills, ideally 10-15 pages.
• An official University of Arkansas transcript.
• A current résumé.
Note: GRE Scores are not required to apply to the 4+1 program,
but they can be submitted to enhance an application.
Associate Professor of History
Director of Graduate Studies, HIST
Teaching Associate Professor
Director of Undergraduate Studies, HIST